PB Balls - um yeah addicting!

I know I am really behind on blogging! My apologies. I have also promised my FB friends all of my recent recipes that I made throughout the holidays and I never got to it! But I will post them all over the next day. So the hubby and I went to a holiday party and he fell in love with the peanut butter balls that were there so of course that led me to trying to top them! I always try and make a better version of whatever we like - either out to dinner or at a friends house (sorry! - lol) 

So here is my recipe for the balls! 

Stuff:
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 - 2 1/2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar

Chocolate Coating:
12 ounces semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped 
3 tablespoons shortening (less for thicker chocolate) 

So place the peanut butter, unsalted butter, and salt in a microwaveable bowl, and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until just soft (check and stir the ingredients every 15 seconds). Stir in the vanilla extract and confectioners sugar and mix until it has the consistency of a stiff dough (add more sugar if necessary). MAKE sure that you don't heat the PB mixture and I had to use almost 3 cups of powdered sugar in order to get the right consistency and even then it still felt too soft so I just threw the whole thing in the freezer for an hour and then I made the balls. 

Roll about a heaping teaspoon or tablespoon into a ball and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I froze my balls (LOL - sorry I just cant help it!) for a couple hours before I dipped them and take the balls out of the freezer in batches so that they keep firm. 

Next melt the chocolate and shortening dutch oven style or very carefully in microwave (nuking for 20 seconds and a time and mixing) and then dip the balls in one at a time. Place back on parchment paper and then back in the freezer to set. I like to store them in a large tupperware in fridge once they are set. 

This recipe will make like 40 - 50 balls depending on size so its a good recipe. It's tedious work though so just be ready! 

(No finished product pic - I need to get better at food photography!) 

Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular Posts